Class of 2021
2021 Counselors Presentation in English classes
During the week of September 8th the EGHS students services department pushed into Senior English courses to present on college application requirements/tips/processes. In addition counselors reviewed student graduation requirements including a NEW Illinois LAW that requires all graduating seniors to complete either the FAFSA or the Illinois Alternative Application. See the link below for a video of that presentation.
Harper Promise Recommit
Early this Fall Harper college will send emails and USPS letters to families regarding their students requirement to recommit to Harper Promise. Remember, EVERY year students must recommit and meet minimum requirements to keep Harper Promise. Keeping Harper Promise does not COMMIT you to Harper but COMMITS Harper to cover up to two years of tuition. For more information on Harper Promise please visit our Harper Promise page
Every year numerous colleges visit EGHS and this year we are continuing that tradition remotely. Please click here for information on how to access links for virtual information sessions, see the schedule, and to prepare for visits. All visits will be during non-instructional time (8-10 AM). Please contact the postsecondary team if you have any questions.
Virtual Tours and Webinars
If you cannot attend live sessions for D214 students families can see use other resources to "visit" or learn about university admission policies, campus information, and general information. Please Click here for more information.
More details on College and Career Planning
For more detailed information on college and career information please visit our page by clicking HERE.
2019-2020 information for Junior Families
Junior Send-Off with Mr. Miocic and Mr. Deutsch May 11 & May 13. Information can be found in both your emails and in your US History Course. If you were unable to make it you can find this and MORE in your Junior Folder within your Schoology Course titled "Core Tour". Please check that page often as Mr. Miocic will update lessons as you transition from Junior Year to Senior Year.
College Essay Workshop
Due to some unfortunate incidents our College Essay Webinar was moved to a recorded session per the request of the presenter. The information can be found HERE.
Postsecondary Planning ideas for eLearning students:
Those interested in College should:
- Determine what type of degree you'd like to pursue (certificate vs. associates vs. bachelors)
- Identify five postsecondary options. If standardized testing is giving you anxiety please understand that many universities are already announcing they'll move to a test-optional (so no ACT/SAT required) for the 2021 school year. Please visit university websites directly for more information from that school. With over 4,000 schools it's difficult to have a running list here.
- Compare your achievements to those they typically admit (do you match up?)
- Complete the Net Price Calculator for each of those schools (you'll need parent/guardian help with this)
- Plan out things you'll need to do to complete their future application
Those interested in Trades/Manufacturing options:
- Identify what trade you'd like to pursue and visit their website on requirements
- FOCUS on your math/English skills as there are typically entrance exams for these careers as well
- Reach out to possible contractors to see how they sponsor future apprentice workers
- Those interested in manufacturing jobs can visit gCamp or iCatt to get some ideas on how these programs can work for you.
Those interested in Military options:
- Review what branch is best for them on military websites and reach out to recruiters to hear more about how the Military might be right for them
- What is your end goal? Do you want to enlist to utilize the benefits of a college education? Do you want to be career military?
Course Selection for Senior YearThis page is full of important dates and information for the class of 2021.
Course Selection Worksheet
Core Presentations (general counseling curriculum)
Fall Junior Core Guidance Presentation
Fall Junior Core Worksheet
Submit your community service hours using Transeo.
College Planning Workshop (2/22)
College Fit Slides
Online Resources Slides
Application Process Slides
Financial Aid Slides
College Options Notes (2/25)